Hard to believe, but just two months ago, the Jurgens staff rallied against the cold to enjoy some time in the snow! A rare, but enjoyable occasion in Johannesburg!
Message from Mark Jurgens
Having recently read an opening article in the Money Marketing magazine, penned by Timothy Rangongo, it highlighted the importance of each and every one of us practicing strict budget measures with regard to addressing the constant rise of living expenses.
It could not have been predicted that we would have endured nine interest rate hikes since 2021, all of which resulted in higher debt payments for individuals. These hikes have caused the best of budget plans to be stretched to the limit, with regard to debt in the form of bond payments, personal loans, credit cards and household expenses. Notwithstanding the additional pressures created through economic uncertainty and ongoing geopolitical issues. People are realising the benefit provided through having access to a knowledgeable financial advisor. In fact, a fellow independent advisory firm researched that the demand for financial advice has increased in the past year by 21.2%.
An independent financial advisor is able to adapt tailor made financial strategies and evaluate individual investment portfolios which offer informed long term financial planning solutions. As independent advisors, we are not affiliated with any specific provider, ensuring that our decisions are solely based on identifying the optimal offering that suits your needs. A reminder that our advice includes managing debt, minimising tax, estate planning, risk management and fiduciary services.
We encourage you to reach out to our offices and enable us to evaluate your current circumstances and make informed decisions regarding your personal financial situation.
Wishing you a successful and productive last quarter of 2023!
‘The Reverse Obituary: Celebrating Life While Still Living’ from Alan Botha
In a world where obituaries serve as the final tribute to a person’s life, the concept of a “reverse obituary” turns this tradition on its head. Instead of waiting until the end of one’s journey, a reverse obituary invites us to reflect on our lives while we are still living them. It is a powerful exercise that encourages self-awareness, goal setting, and a deeper appreciation for the moments that shape our existence.
Reflecting on Life
It prompts us to consider the legacy we’re actively creating. It challenges us to reflect on our accomplishments, the people we’ve touched, and the challenges we’ve overcome. This introspection allows us to appreciate the journey we’re on, recognizing that every day presents an opportunity to write a new chapter.
By purposely crafting this document, we set intentions for our future. We contemplate the impact we want to have on the world, the relationships we want to nurture, and the goals we aspire to achieve. It becomes a roadmap, guiding us towards a purposeful and fulfilling life.
It encourages us to acknowledge our milestones and achievements. Whether big or small, each accomplishment contributes to the narrative of our lives. Recognizing these moments of triumph provides a sense of pride and motivation to keep moving forward.
Expressing gratitude is a cornerstone of a fulfilling life. By reflecting on the people who have played significant roles in our journey, we can reach out and thank them. This act of gratitude not only strengthens our relationships but also cultivates a culture of appreciation.
Life is a constant journey of growth and evolution. This reflection, allows us to track our personal development, acknowledging the lessons learned from challenges and celebrating the wisdom gained. It reminds us that growth is a continuous, lifelong process.
Reconnecting with Purpose
In the hustle and bustle of everyday life, it’s easy to lose sight of our true purpose. A reverse obituary serves as a powerful reminder of what truly matters to us. It helps us realign our actions with our core values, ensuring that we live authentically and with purpose.
Sharing our personal reflections can be a profound way to inspire others. It encourages them to embark on their own journey of self-reflection, setting goals, and embracing life’s precious moments. Through our example, we can ignite a spark of introspection and purpose in those around us.
The reverse obituary is a testament to the power of living intentionally. It challenges us to actively shape our legacy, fostering a deeper sense of purpose, gratitude, and growth. By embracing this unique approach, we not only enrich our own lives but also inspire others to do the same. So, let us take a moment to reflect, set intentions, and celebrate the beautiful story we are creating with each passing day.
Quote of the Day
Short Term News Update from Greg Brits
There are two subjects in this newsletter that we would like to address, and these are namely a “Linked Alarm Warranty” and the “Rainy Summer Season”. With loadshedding disruptions continuing, and the repair or maintenance operations to power stations throughout South Africa, we have noticed an increase in burglaries at residential and business premises. Summer in South Africa also brings with it, wet conditions, electrical storms and sometimes flooding.
Below are several key points that will assist you in effectively managing the testing of your alarm system, along with preparing for the upcoming rainy season.
• A Linked Alam Warranty means that your Insurer has imposed a condition on your policy that is specific to theft cover being in place. Your alarm system must be linked to an armed reaction company and must be in working order at all times, as well as being activated when the home is unoccupied.
• Make sure that your alarm company is receiving opening and closing signals at least every three months or after an electrical storm. Check that your infrared sensors or door magnets, when activated, trigger the alarm which sends a signal to the control room.
• Where possible, install an infrared sensor inside your roof as intruders either remove roof tiles or cut corrugated roofs to gain access through the ceiling trap door.
• Power surges due to Loadshedding or Lightning can disrupt the zones that have been pre-programmed, causing a malfunction. This is not automatically picked up by the alarm company and hence we strongly suggest that regular testing be a priority.
• Where possible upgrade to a lithium battery which has a much longer life expectancy, high energy density, and low self-discharge rate, meaning they keep their charge for longer. A back-up battery is a great idea to keep the alarm active for longer.
• Storms and excessive water cause damage to your building, home contents or business contents if not maintained. Now is the time to clean out gutters, check waterproofing on pitched or flat roofs and conduct general maintenance of your premises. Wear and Tear or gradual deterioration is not covered by Insurers and hence it’s vitally important that you maintain the upkeep of your premises.
• It’s also a good idea to do some tree felling to prevent overgrowth which helps the stability of tree’s during a storm.
• We remind all our loyal clients to please keep a safe following distance on wet roads, and to check the tread of your tyres to ensure you meet the legal traffic law requirements which Insurers do check at claims stage.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our loyal clients for your continued support. We are here to assist at all times and keep you abreast with industry updates and news. Please try NOT to unsubscribe from our “IMPORTANT NOTICE” emailers which are sent from time to time. They contain valuable information which may help you to alleviate discrepancies at claims stage.
Should you have any questions with regards to the above points, please do not hesitate to contact our office.